Braised Lamb Shanks
The king of the dinner table, “Braised Lamb Shanks” … At your dinner together with your family, you stand on your table with all the glory of a fleshy body on a soft “Creamy Mashed Potatoes” … And you are the hero of this beautiful scene.
How to make Braised Lamb Shanks?
We recommend using the same Dutch oven to seal and bake the lamb shanks. The size of Dutch oven will also change according to the amount of lamb shanks. We seal lamb shanks in hot oil in our pot. In the oil, where the flavor of lamb passes, we lightly roast the vegetables, add tomato sauce and boil. After completing the spices, we put the sealed shanks back into the container and cook slowly for 2.5 hours in the oven. Until he bones easily removed from his flesh. And we put the great flavor on the “creamy potato butter” and serve it with sauce …
What is the ingredients of “Creamy Mashed Potatoes”?
2 pounds (1kg) potatoes,
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot milk, or more
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (close to room temp is best)
1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
6-8 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley to garnish, optional to garnish
How to make “Creamy Mashed Potatoes”?
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Remove any spots, lumps or knots.
- Place potatoes in a large pot (6-quart) and cover with cold, salted water by an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain cooked potatoes, add in the hot milk, butter and sour cream.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. (OPTIONAL: Use a strong wooden spoon OR electric beaters to beat further until smooth. Be careful NOT to over beat or they will become gluey.)
- Add in the garlic and parmesan cheese (if using) and salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 lamb shanks
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced sage
2 teaspoons minced thyme, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon minced rosemary
1 bay leaf
1 cup red wine
1 (28 ounce) box organic chopped tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Place (6 quart) Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Season lamb shanks liberally with salt and pepper; then sear each shank in Dutch oven on all sides. Remove shanks from
- Dutch oven and transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to pot and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until onions begin to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sage, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Deglaze pot with wine and simmer until liquid has dissolved.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and stock, then add shanks back to pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and transfer to oven.
- Braise shanks for about 2 1/2 hours, or until shanks very tender.
- Remove shanks from Dutch oven and nestle each atop a bowl of creamy mashed potatoes. Spoon some braising liquid over each shank and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.